For assistance with your business law enquiry, please contact Stephanie Racine at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-544-0211, x8033.
Our Business Law Group provides a wide range of legal services designed to help businesses of all sizes grow and prosper. You will benefit from legal work conducted in a network of lawyers operating across practice areas to solve the issues that matter most. Specifically, our business lawyers provide sound and effective legal counsel in the following areas:
If you are starting a business:
You may need advice on matters such as incorporation, partnerships, financing, shareholder agreements, and liability issues. We assist with formation of all types of businesses, including professional corporations for dentists, doctors, and other medical professionals. We provide legal services in the following areas:
- Is a sole proprietorship, partnership, or incorporation the correct structure for your business?
- Do you know your rights as a shareholder? As a partner?
- Should you have a shareholder or partnership agreement?
- What is your personal financial liability if the business should fail?
- Which financing methods work best?
If you own or operate a well-established business or require legal review of agreements for your business:
You can benefit from our knowledge of business acquisition and sale, corporate reorganization and restructuring, joint ventures, franchising, corporate financing, private commercial transactions, business and tax planning, and commercial security. We can help you:
- Value and protect your interests in private transactions
- Successfully overcome the challenges of mergers and acquisitions
- Value a business to be sold or acquired in either an asset purchase or share purchase transaction
- Keep up with on-going changes to tax laws
- Read and interpret a franchise agreement
- Ensure your business is compliant with privacy regulations such as FIPPA
- Complete succession planning, including an estate freeze
- Prepare annual corporate filings
Should your business be in trouble:
You may need our assistance with bankruptcy and insolvency services to help you reorganize and re-establish security. These services include working on your behalf to facilitate:
- Restructuring of professional and personal debts
- Financial consolidation and payments
- Re-establishing creditor confidence
- Maximizing opportunities to rebuild the business
Name registration and brand protection:
You may require our assistance in choosing a business name and with your branding.
Our services include:
- Reviewing corporate and business name searches
- Registering business names
- Conducting trade-mark clearance searches
- Filing and prosecuting trade-marks
For trade-mark related inquires, please contact email@example.com
Services for not-for-profit and charitable organizations:
We also offer a wide range of services for those working in this significant sector of the economy including:
- Advice on structure and governance
- Assistance with your application for registration as a charity for tax purposes
- Review and redrafting of by-laws and other governing documents as may be required for your not-for-profit organization to transition under new federal and provincial not-for-profit legislation such as the Not-For-Profit Corporations Act, 2010
Services for the e-business sector:
Critical issues confront those in the e-business and e-commerce marketplace. Our Technology Law lawyers can help you address many of these, including:
- Protecting intellectual property
- Avoiding software piracy
- Hosting and user agreements for websites
- Protecting trade secrets and confidential information
- Complying with privacy regulations
- Acquiring technology and drafting or reviewing software licenses (Copyright, Trade-marks and Patents)
Services for the energy sector:
Whether you are developing or hosting a power project, bidding on contracts, considering energy needs, supply options, or retrofits for your business, or are a regulated -market participant, we can provide advice on commercial and regulatory issues and risks, including:
- Renewable power project advice for landowners and developers
- Contracting and commercial advice for businesses
- Regulatory advice for industry participants