For assistance with your municipal law enquiry, please contact Karen James at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-544-0211, x8046.
The dedicated team of experienced municipal lawyers in our Municipal Law Group are recognized leaders in this highly specialized area of law. We assist a substantial number of eastern Ontario municipalities, utility commissions, conservation authorities and local boards and commissions as they navigate the complex challenges of municipal government. We provide timely advice on all matters relating to municipal governance, including:
- Drafting, interpreting, and enforcing by-laws
- – Noise;
- – Sewer use and utility fees;
- – Animal control;
- – Property standards.
- Drafting and providing strategic advice related to a variety of agreements
- – Cost sharing and front-end servicing;
- – Municipal Responsibility Agreements for communal services;
- – Local Services agreements;
- – Shared Services (fire, utilities, CBO);
- – Encroachments, licenses and leasing.
- Land use planning and property matters
- – Subdivision and site plan control;
- – Zoning by-laws and s. 37 bonusing;
- – Official Plan amendments;
- – Brownfield and Community Improvement Plans;
- – expropriation
- – Landfill issues
- Election issues
- – Municipal Election Act prosecutions;
- – lame duck council;
- – Eligibility and vacancy opinions.
- Property tax
- – Collection and enforcement matters
- – Assessment appeals
- – Tax sales
- – Procedural by-laws and codes of conduct;
- – In-camera meetings;
- – Freedom of information;
- – Ward boundary revisions;
- – Conflict of interest matters
We appear regularly at all levels of court as well as before the Ontario Municipal Board.