Brian provides comprehensive estate planning advice to help clients identify and implement succession plans through the use of wills, multiple wills, trusts and will substitutes.
Brian also provides guidance to estate trustees during the estate administration process and represents trustees, attorneys, beneficiaries and disappointed beneficiaries involved in contentious estate matters. As part of his wills and estates practice, Brian routinely advises clients on a variety of estate planning structures, including testamentary trusts, spousal trusts, spend-thrift trusts, alter ego trusts, Henson trusts, regulatory trusts and insurance trusts.
In addition to the above, Brian is a member of the firm’s business law and real estate law groups and advises on the following matters:
- shareholder and partnership agreements;
- the purchase and sale of residential real property;
- business structures and incorporations;
- the purchase and sale of business assets and shares;
- business succession planning;
- charity and not-for-profit law;
- corporate governance matters; and
- commercial leasing.
Brian grew up in the Kingston area and returned to practice following his call to the bar. He serves on the executive for the Estate Planning Council for Eastern Ontario and is a subject matter expert with the Law Practice Program at Ryerson University.