Lieutenant-Colonel (retired) Rory Fowler joined Cunningham Swan following his retirement from the Canadian Forces. Rory served for nearly 28 years, first as an infantry officer with the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, and subsequently as a Legal Officer with the Office of the Judge Advocate General. In the latter role, Rory served as a deployed legal advisor, educator, and worked extensively in the area of public and administrative law. He helped lead the development of the current curriculum used to train new legal officers, and served as a mentor to many in the field of administrative law. Rory served as the Deputy Judge Advocate for Canadian Forces Base Kingston, Director of Law for Compensation, Benefits, Pensions and Estates and Director of Law for Administrative Law.
As Director of Law for Compensation, Benefits, Pensions and Estates, Rory advised on a wide range of benefits for members of the Canadian Forces under the National Defence Act, including pay, allowances, reimbursement of expenses, as well as benefits under the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act. As the Director of Law for Administrative Law, Rory led the team responsible for advising on the Canadian Forces grievance process, including providing direct support to the final authority and assisting legal advisors to the various initial authorities. He was also responsible for legal support to Boards of Inquiry, summary investigations and other administrative investigations.
By virtue of his background, Rory brings to Cunningham Swan unique ability, expertise and insight in a variety of administrative law matters affecting members of the Canadian Forces and veterans, and the unique nature of the Crown-soldier relationship. In particular, Rory can assist current and former members of the Canadian Forces with:
- Compensation and benefits under the National Defence Act
- Benefits under the Canadian Forces Superannuation Act
- Grievances, Military Police complaints and other complaints processes
- Judicial Review of decisions by statutory decision-makers in the Canadian Forces or whose decisions affect veterans or members of the Canadian Forces (including final determinations by the Veterans Review and Appeal Board under the Pension Act and Canadian Forces Member and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act (Veterans’ Charter))
- Application of the Queen’s Regulations and Orders for the Canadian Forces (QR&O), Defence Administrative Orders and Directives (DAOD), and related Canadian Forces Orders and Directives
- Boards of Inquiry, Summary Investigations and other administrative investigations
- Charter rights and human rights relating to members of the Canadian Forces
- The application of other federal, and provincial, laws to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces