Are Your Property Taxes Too High?

Posted September 21, 2015 Category: Individuals/Families

I am often approached and asked, “How do l appeal my Property Taxes?” The simple answer is – “You can’t!” You can, however, appeal your assessment.

The amount on your real property tax bill is the result of two components being multiplied. One you can appeal, but the other you can deal with at municipal election time.

The one you can appeal is the property assessment, placed on your property by the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). The assessment can be appealed directly to the Assessment Review Board of Ontario (ARB). This provincially appointed board sits at various locations throughout the province, usually in the principal city in the county or district where your property is located. The process is set out on the ARB web site, and starts with a Request for Reconsideration sent to MPAC, as soon as you get you annual Assessment Notice.

The second factor is the mill rate – that’s set by the municipal council, and the only appeal is to the voters!

Posted September 21, 2015 Category: Individuals/Families

Newsletter Signup

Sign up for our Newsletter

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.