Benefit from legal work conducted in a network of lawyers operating across practice areas to solve the issues that matter most.
Formation of a Business
Forming a business can be an exciting, yet daunting process. We have supported many businesses, of all sizes, in their infancy through to their later years.
With access to Cunningham Swan’s wide array of practice areas and legal team, we can help you and your business tackle any venture or obstacle that may arise. Every business has unique needs that may change or develop while the business grows, and you can count on us to be there every step of the way.
We can help address the following questions:
- How do I get started with incorporation?
- Is a sole proprietorship, partnership, or incorporation the correct structure for your business? Why?
- What are my rights as a shareholder? As a partner?
- Do I need a shareholder or partnership agreement and what should it look like?
- What is my personal financial liability if the business should fail?
- Which financing methods work best for my circumstances?
- How do I reserve my new business name?
- How do I protect my brand?
Business Names, Trademark and Copyright Supports
Whether you are looking to register a new business name, establish rights to a brand or protect works of authorship, we can help.
Our services include:
- Reviewing corporate and business name searches
- Registering business names
- Conducting trademark clearance searches
- Filing and prosecuting trademarks
- Filing for copyright
- Transfer and licensing of business names, trademarks and copyrights
Support for Established Businesses
As a business owner, we know you are busy. You are hiring staff, developing sales strategies, monitoring inventory, and managing your team. The list could go on for pages, we get it. That is why we are here to advocate for you and your business at every stage, so you can focus on what you need to.
With access to Cunningham Swan’s wide array of practice areas and legal team, we can help you and your business tackle any venture or obstacle that may arise. Whether you are facing unexpected challenges or are simply hoping to make sure you are on the right track, you can count on us to provide experienced advice.
We most often provide support in the following areas but please do not hesitate to reach out to our team and see what else we can do for you and your business.
General Support to Established Businesses
- Protecting your interests in private transactions
- Successfully overcoming the challenges of mergers and acquisitions
- Keeping up with on-going changes to tax laws
- Drafting and review of contracts
- Assistance with managing PPSA registrations
- Reading and interpreting a franchise agreement
- Assistance with commercial leases
- Ensuring your business is compliant with privacy regulations such as FIPPA
- Completing succession planning, including an estate freeze
- Preparing annual corporate filings
Support for Businesses at Risk
When times are tough, you need reliable and proactive support. We are here to assist you and your business through its hardest times. Whether you are looking to reorganize and re-establish security in your business, pursue bankruptcy and insolvency, or simply aren’t sure which direction to go – we have you covered.
These services include working on your behalf to facilitate:
- Restructuring of professional and personal debts
- Financial consolidation and payments
- Re-establishing creditor confidence
- Maximizing opportunities to rebuild the business in its current state
- Insolvency and bankruptcy support
Support for Not-For-Profit and Charitable Organizations
We understand the complexities of not-for-profit organizations and how they differ from other businesses in both operation and structure.
We have extensive experience supporting these organizations in the following matters:
- Providing advice on structure and governance of non-profit and charitable organizations
- Assistance with your application for registration as a charity for tax purposes
- Reviewing and redrafting of by-laws and other governing documents as may be required for your not-for-profit organization in accordance with applicable law
Those operating within the e-businesses and e-commerce marketplace face a unique set of challenges, requiring the support of an experienced legal team. Technology is rapidly evolving and improving every day, making it difficult to keep up with when also running a business. We are familiar with current legal parameters and are committed to staying up to date on any changes that may affect you and your business. We will help navigate the laws, regulations, and licencing requirements to make sure that you can focus on the day to day.
We provide support in the following areas:
- Protecting intellectual property
- Hosting agreements for websites
- User agreements for websites
- Protecting trade secrets and confidential information
- Complying with privacy regulations
- Acquiring technology
- Drafting or reviewing software licenses both on premises licensing and
- SAAS business models
- Assisting with software development agreements
Energy Sector Specific Supports
Businesses in the energy sector require specific support that other industries may not encounter. We are familiar with these differences and offer several supports regarding commercial and regulatory issues and risks. From early development of power projects through to operations, we can support your needs.
We provide support in the following areas:
- Project development
- Renewable power project advice for landowners and developers
- Retrofits for your business
- Advice when bidding on contracts
- Consideration of energy needs
- Contracting and commercial advice for businesses
- Regulatory advice for industry participants