Eric Bennett is the Partner responsible for the Business Law group.
He holds three degrees, including a B.A. from Trent University, an M.B.A from the University of Toronto and finally, an LL.B. from Queen’s University. Prior to his career in law, Eric was in commercial lending with one of Canada’s major banks.
Eric joined the firm in 1988 and has been advising both profit and not-for-profit corporations and organizations on business structure and governance ever since. Eric has been with Cunningham Swan for quite some time and was once the firm’s Managing Partner. He continues to actively support the Kingston community as a Director and Trustee of the Anna & Edward Churchill Foundation.
Eric was once Director for the Board of Hotel Dieu Hospital, the President of the Greater Kingston Chamber of Commerce and the Estate Planning Council of Eastern Ontario.
Specifically, he provides advice on the following:
- The purchase and sale of businesses
- Corporate reorganizations
- Commercial financing and security
- Shareholder and partnership agreements
- Drafting commercial agreements including commercial leases
- Succession planning for family and small business companies
- Applications for registered charity status
- Estate planning
- Wills, powers of attorney and family trusts
When he is not working, Eric likes to start his day with a long walk, followed by an afternoon of tending to his gardens and then a cool dip in the pool.