Robert is an Associate in our Business Law group.
He assists clients with several aspects of Business Law, with a focus on intellectual property and technology law. Robert is a Registered Trademark Agent.
Before becoming a lawyer, Robert was a Scientist, completing his Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry and Physiology at the University of Toronto and Master of Science in Neuroscience at Queen’s University in 2011. Throughout his law degree, he completed two internships, acting as a legal consultant for a fortune 500 company as well as interning at the Center for Information Privacy with the Government of Canada.
Shortly before joining our team, Robert worked at a leading national law firm specializing in intellectual property and technology law. Robert joined Cunningham Swan as an articling student in 2015 and returned after his call to the bar in 2016.
Today, Robert assists clients with:
- Advising start-ups and entrepreneurs
- Incorporation and organizational matters
- Advising not-for-profit corporations and charities
- Asset and share transactions, with a focus on transactions involving software and other forms of intellectual property
- Drafting commercial agreements including shareholder agreements and commercial leases
- Advising software companies on licensing strategies including SAAS and on-premises licensing
- Assisting with software development contracting
- Protecting and licensing copyright and trademarks
- Advising on business names and brand protection
- Preparation, filing and prosecution of trademarks before the Canadian Intellectual Property Office
On the weekends, Robert can be found cottaging, mountain biking, and letting his golden retriever take him for walks.